Out in STL is the news, politics and lifestyle magazine designed for LGBTQ and LGBTQ-curious readers who are enjoying a new era of acceptance, social mobility and economic growth. Our readers are pursuing a career or higher education, partnered up or actively looking, busy building a full life of friendship, (alternative and traditional) family and social engagement. Our readers are interested in personal and financial growth, travel, living a fulfilling life, and are actively engaged in social issues, including but not limited to LGBTQ political and cultural issues.
In addition to our website and social media, we publish four print issues each year:
- Winter (December, January, February)
- Spring (March, April, May)
- Summer (June, July, August)
- Fall (September, October, November)
Publication dates: 3rd week of the preceding month. Deadlines vary; please inquire.
We encourage freelance contributions in most areas of the website and magazine, and in a variety of formats, from 300-word news capsules and short commentaries to 5,000-word feature articles. Payment is based on length, content and the extent of original reporting and research involved. We are interested in original stories, essays and commentary only – no reprints, with two exceptions: We will consider pieces that you would like to adapt or rewrite substantively for Out in STL. And we welcome excerpts from forthcoming or recently published books.
News and Politics
- Roundups and analysis, with an emphasis on political trends and the courts
- Political commentary and opinion – especially with a focus on Texas and regional issues and people, or putting national issues in a new perspective
- Original investigative reporting
Culture and Entertainment (including sports, music and celebrities)
- Previews of noteworthy events
- Profiles, interviews and Q&A
- Critical essays
- History lessons (trailblazers, turning points)
- 400-2,000 words
- In-depth original reporting and analysis of important issues, people and developments
- 1,500-5,000 words
- Tales of recent travels to LGBTQ-friendly locations (singles, couples and throuples, or families with kids) with photos and index (venue information, prices, etc.)
Other coverage areas
- Health and Fitness, Home and Entertaining, Style, Real Estate, Military, Family Life
- Emphasis on reported, shorter pieces that address a specific trend, issue or need: 500-800 words
- We also welcome nontraditional story-telling: photo essays, comics, illustrations, Snapchat chronicles, artwork. Please pitch us with samples at [email protected].
- We always welcome pitches, especially from underrepresented voices (if you’ve never been a regular columnist before, we’ll make you jump through a few hoops to make sure you’ve considered the commitment involved).
- Out In STL publishes several themed sections throughout the year. Topics include holidays, weddings, LGTBQ-friendly travel, parenthood, real estate, interior design, etc. If you have an area of interest or expertise in which you’d like to contribute, please contact the editor.
We love fresh voices and perspectives and well-executed work as much as we love long, impressive resumes. Please send a brief CV, writing samples, and pitches to [email protected].